Saturday, January 07, 2006

Canada Wins Gold

After a couple of hectic days of meetings and travels, I was looking forward to watching the gold medal game of the World Junior Hockey Championship. I was in Niagara Falls, all by myself at the hotel bar....and that was just fine.

I had a big screen tv and comfortable couch to kick back, relax and enjoy the game.

Of course, relaxing didn't come into play until the third goal. I was nervous and excited and wanted to see the Russians blown out. It did happen in the end with a 5-0 final score, but I only needed the edge of my seat for the first ten minutes.

The Russians dominated play early on. I think the shots were something like 15-3 at one point. But Canadian goaltender Justin Pogge was outstanding and kept Canada in the game. When Downie scored the first goal, it was a relief and a sign of more good things to come. Best of all, it was good to see the CDN players crash and bang the Russians...that set the tone early and it put the Russians on the defensive.

The non-goal by the Russians was a non-factor as far as I am concerned. I don't think it really would have made much difference. It made for good television though!

I will anxiously await the Turin olympics now. I am predicting a repeat gold medal for both the Canadian men and women's hockey teams.

No comments: