Tuesday, August 22, 2006

The best round of the summer

I spent most of last week in St. Louis at some pretty important meetings. For the most part they were productive, but it was long days and nights, and lots of discussion, planning and work to do as we go forward.

Mentally I was fatigued and was looking for a break and rest. I spent most of Sunday with the family, which was really special. And on Monday after work, I hit the links for what turned out to be the best round of the year so far.

I was able to play my home course for the first time in over three weeks. The course was in great shape and I started off strong; hitting the ball solid and far. In the end, I had four birdies; my personal best, and a score of 79, a season low.

I birdied 7, 10, 12 and 17. Two par fives and two par fours. I was putting for eagle on 12, which is a feat in itself. The hole is a 527 par 5 that is the number two handicap hole. I had a great tee shot of close to 300 (there was no wind). The hole is protected by a creek 40 yards in front of the green and only a fool would try to go for it in two, but I did. Luck was on my side as my ball hit right before the creek, bounced over and rolled onto the back of the green. I had 25 feet for eagle and it just missed. But I'll take a birdie on that hole any day.

What would be a round of golf without talking about the ones that got away. I keep thinking that I should have birdied 8 (10 ft putt that lipped the cup) and 16 (my putt finished 2 inches short). I also had three double bogeys and four three putts. Even still I shot a good score. My low round of the year and I can't wait to get back out there.

No comments: