Saturday, June 16, 2012

Don't panic... at least wait till the season starts

I was on a flight home when the Riders were playing their first exhibition game against B.C. I asked my wife to PVR' the game and I still haven't watched it. I did get the heads up that it wasn't worth watching, so I am starting to think there is no point.

There also is no point to panic. When I was listening to Sportsnight on Thursday night some callers had already written the season off. Other callers sounded like they were ready to jump off a bridge. I guess I have to remind people that it was just an exhibition game. Even more reason to remain calm is that the Lions played a lot of their starters, later into the game, while the Riders were "trying out guys" in various positions. 

Isn't that what exhibition games are for anyway? With the record as bad as it was in 2011, one would hope that Riders were going to try new things (i.e. offensive and defense schemes), try out new players (how many veterans didn't make the trip?) and get used to the new coaching dynamics and personalities.

I like everything that I have seen so far from the new regime. I am hopeful that the Riders will play better in the 2nd exhibition game on Friday, and maybe then that will stop the crazies from being, well, crazies! 

Nonetheless, everything is still meaningless until the season starts.

No comments: