Sunday, September 02, 2012

Riders kick Bombers in their athletic supporters


Who doesn't like a blowout? By your favorite team....against one of their biggest rivals...on the biggest day and game of the year? I for one am ecstatic as to what I saw today as the Rider's shut out the Bombers 52-0  in the 2012 Labour Day Classic.

I say this because I have a long memory. I remember way too many times the Riders being on the wrong end of a blowout. Maybe I am greedy, but I would like to see the Riders blow out the opposition even more! That is something that will never get old to me. But 52-0? Go figure. Can't say that I saw that coming (I'm sure no one did) and it was impressive, to say the least.

The team played today like they did in the first three games of the season. In complete control and without costly errors or mistakes. Maybe they had some good karma going for them too with Sandro DeAngelis' first  field goal attempt hitting the upright but still going through. Maybe that was an early sign that today was the Riders' day and things were going to go their way.

Durant was in control of the game and I have believed that the team is better when he takes off and runs. His scrambling for a few crucial first downs in the 1st quarter were critical to sustaining drives and putting points on the scoreboard. Yes, he did take a shot to the head in the 3rd quarter, but it looks like he had some stiffness in his neck and shoulder and will be back for the rematch. The two touchdown throws to Weston Dressler were pretty to watch. Nice smooth spirals that were perfectly thrown. Of course, having good pass protection helps. Kudo's to the o-line as they had a solid game. 

Brackenridge stepped up and was simply outstanding. Not bad for a guy who was almost scratched. He came up big not only in the two notable plays, but he appeared to be in the right position pretty much all day.  It would be criminal if he doesn't earn defensive player of the week honours.

Lobendahn had a nice first game and led the team in tackles. Hope he stays healthy so they can have some stability at the linebacker positions for a few games. The other defensive stars were Jay Alford and Tearrius George. Even though there were not a lot of sacks (I think they only had two), there were lots of hurries. The defensive line is very good and they are keeping Willis and Hawkins fresh. It also appeared the defensive backs had much tighter coverage today. Have we ever seen more knockdowns in a game like we did today? 

I am really impressed with Korey Sheets' toughness. He seems to take a lot of punishment, but he bounces up after every touch and just keeps making plays. What a great find. He is on track to get over 1000 rushing yards on the season and perhaps even greater single game performances are in store. 

Drew Willy got some decent playing time and impressed like he did in the pre-season. The Riders didn't miss a beat when he came into the game and he looked pretty confident for 1st year quarterback. At this point of the season both Sheets and Willy are looking like great finds for GM Brendan Taman. Same thing with Brooks Foster. Those were two great catches and they may now have their receivers set. 

And big congratulations to Coach Corey Chamblin. His composure and positive attitude have finally paid off and in every game it looks like his players want to play for him. Chamblin is vastly different than Greg Marshall (who?) and Tim Burke (sucks to be you) and that's a good thing. 

Just as I write this I am watching the highlights on CTV Winnipeg. They are using words such as embarrassing, humiliating, humbling, historic for all the wrong reasons, long drive back.... As I said, I know what they are talking about. I remember times when this is what happened to the Riders. Nice to see someone else have some of that misery and the Riders the ones dishing it out. 

Good thing I set the PVR as I will be watching this one again. 

3 comments:

Platty said...

Maybe I am greedy, but I would like to see the Riders blow out the opposition even more!

And that's what you call exciting football? I'd rather watch two evenly matched teams playing a close game.

I guess when your team has a history of blowing it in the fourth quarter you have to hope for a blowout.

I doubt you will see this again this year against any team other than Winnipeg, of course having said that, I sure hope my Eskies are ready for the Battle of Alberta today.


=

dmorris said...

"Who doesn't like a blowout? By your favorite team"

Me. I like a well-played,well-contested game decided in the last quarter. I find no excitement in watching Mike Tyson beat up Peewee Herman.

Winnipeg has serious management problems,which started when they hired the sometimes brilliant,but usually injured Buck Pierce.

They still don't seem to have done anything more,firing Lapolice, than demoralise the troops,and this game is a good indicator of how badly demoralised they are.

Rebuild the Bombers, get some good young players for next season, and ask the CFL if maybe they can avoid Saskatchewan in the schedule for a couple of seasons.

Doesn't Saskatoon have a pretty good football club the Bombers could play instead?

Anonymous said...

chocolate day messages for friends
text message hug day cards
happy kisss day husband images
chocolate day messages for husband