Monday, July 09, 2012

Never criticize a win

The Riders go to 2-0 with an impressive performance over the Evil Empire. Jyles and Joseph could not get anything going against the Rider's defense....the Rider "D" was phenomenal as much as the Edmonton quarterbacks were aweful. A defensive battle isn't such a bad thing now and then. The Rider offense did have me worried at times, but I still had these sense that they'd pull out the win. Of course I didn't know that and it was just a gut feel until "Holy Sheets" had that impressive run for a 34 yd TD late in the fourth quarter. Nice to see a strong play be the game breaker to seal the deal. Bottom line is its a win and that's all that matters. I had a look at the Edmonton papers today and they are all over Tillman for trading Ricky Ray for Jyles. At this point it may go down as one of the most lopsided trades in history. But I have no sympathy for Tillman or the Esks. Everybody has to make tough trades or say goodbye to free agents to be under the salary cap. And I know that Eskimo fans took great joy in seeing the Riders falter last year after they went to three of previous four Grey Cups. My only regret is not betting on the game with my brother-in-law, who is a big Eskimo fan. He's still a little annoyed with me when I gave his son Austin a Riders jersey (with #5 on the back of course!) He's taken his share of bets from me and I still want revenge...but missed out in setting a bet for this game. That will come as so will many more Eskimos losses this season if they don't get a quarterback. Now bring on the Lions in the showdown for first place in the west. My sense is there will be more offense when the Lions make their way to Mosaic this Saturday.

1 comment:

Platty said...

Saying that the Esks quarterbacks were awful is the understatement of the year, I take back what I said about Ricky Ray being on the downside of his career, compared to what the Esks have now, the man is a god.......Especially when the Esks defence is playing lights out football.